Thursday, November 20, 2008

Autumn has arrived with avengence

Oh, it is blowy and stormy and wet. A true northwest fall day - just in time for Thanksgiving. Henry arrives from Dallas on Monday - I hope he brings his warm raincoat. I have been vacuuming and dusting and trying to generally tidy up my messes. Sewing machines and fabric and bits and pieces seem to have migrated all over the house - do they do that while we sleep? Actually the big machine (Pfaff 7550) has gone in for a sewing machine "lube, oil and filter". It hasn't been done in a while and it was time as my tension seemed to be all off. I have been working on finishing up the handwork part of the binding on Christian's Hawaiian quilt. Today is his 50th birthday - poor dear and the quilt won't be totally complete but enough that I can mention it in the card. (he knows about it, but doesn't think it's done).

In preparation for our houseguest, I'm making my favorite Bran Muffin recipe which I thought I'd share. You can tell its age by it's official title: Ice Box Bran Muffins. [Who has an ice box any more?]

2 cups boiling water
2 cups Nabisco 100% Bran cereal
4 cups Kellogs All-Bran cereal
Pour water over the cereals and set aside.

1 cup Crisco
3 cups white sugar
4 eggs, beaten
1 quart butermilk
5 cups flour
5 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt

Cream crisco and sugar. Add eggs and buttermilk and bran cereal mixture. Sift the dry ingredients and mix with moist until well moistened. Store in the refrigerator for up to nine (9) weeks.

Just before baking, you can add raisins, nuts, dates, etc. Bake at 400`, for 10-12 minutes for muffins.

I got this recipe in the early 1960's from my friend Terry Horrigan - so thanks to her.

Luckily my brother is hosting Thanksgiving, so I simply have to come up with my two contributions: winter squash and a dessert - don't know what yet. And Henry is a great wine purchaser, so our pieces of the event will be fairly simple.

Stay warm. Stay dry.

No comments: