Saturday, April 25, 2009

Saturday

What interesting origins the word Saturday has. In virtually every language their word starts with the letter "S", in Thailand the color associated with the day is purple, in the old Scandinavian languages it was referred to "bath" day and in modern Maori it means "washing day". Does than mean I must take a shower today?

I have some catching up to show you:
Garden quilt with string-pieced border. Still to be backed but I'm doing alright time-wise on this one.









The new oven works a treat and my crumb-topped apple pie turned out very well:



At the big rummage sale everyone can buy their lunch: a bowl of tomato vegetable soup, 2 slices of bread and a slice of (homemade) pie for $4. What a bargain. Any pie that is still left after lunch is sold by the slice along with coffee or tea - or other goodies if you are so inclined.


This is called "Calories for a Good Cause"! I don't know about the rest of the departments, but the book department made almost $1000 on Thursday night. Great, huh?

At Stone Soup Quilts we are always thinking of new ways to make the quilts we give away to bone marrow transplant patients. So last week I brought home some fabric that was printed with 4" squares. We decided that we could cut out 9 patches and then cut them up to make split 9 patches. This was truly a 'paper bag' effort and I think it is really very cute. Will we use it for Stone Soup? I don't know, but it's a fun, easy way to use that fabric.










I have long wanted to make a quilt in the style of Leanne's House (Leanne Beasley), with applique, embroidery, buttons, words and lots of different fabrics. So last night I got a 'bee in my bonnet' and pulled fabrics from my (not insignificant sized) stash.
This morning I cut them into fat quarters, as appropriate, and love looking at them all lined up. Makes me inspired.








Last night I traced a pattern for a light-weight jacket for me AND I cut up some Home Dec. fabric to make a tablecloth for my brother & wife. They have one of those new style square tables that sit high - is that called a bar table?

The challenge, of course, will be matching the pattern or trying to.

So much for just sitting around!

No comments: