Saturday, June 14, 2008

I'm in a learning mode

This past week has been a time to try out several different techniques and figure out which ones I really enjoy (or not so much). I have been doing machine satin stitch around the blue and yellow block for Baltimore Blues. I guess I like it OK, but somehow tracing, cutting and glue-ing (ironing) takes a very long time and I'm not sure I love it that much. (back a couple of blogs)

I have been playing with applique. I so love the look of applique and want mine to be fine and beautiful. NOT YET! So practice, practice, practice. I find points, as in the ends of leaves, especially difficult to do well. This was a little piece I played with yesterday while I was watching the Netherlands play France in the EUFA soccer. The stem, some of the leaves and the flower were done with freezer paper on top and applique along that edge. Not too bad. I also tried the freezer paper removed from the front and ironed onto the back with the edges ironed over. Seemed like a good idea, in theory, but I had some difficulties and actually took off that flower. Will try another technique I think. I first learned applique from
Becky Goldsmith (needle/toothpick turn) and am fairly successful with that. I have watched videos from Nancy Chong (needle turn)and love her Hawaiian quilts. How do you do applique?








In a couple of weeks I will be taking a Stack and Whack class. I think I may be one of the last people in the world who has NOT taken one of these classes, yet, but soon I will have. You've seen my four patch posies, all based on the same idea, but this will make 60` hexagons. So I can add that to my repertoire. Fabric purchased:



There is an old Pennsylvania expression: Too soon old and too late smart. Do I resemble that remark? I'm working to make it not apply. Life is good.

1 comment:

Robin said...

Those pointy-points are indeed tough. I'm still trying to find something that works well for me. But usually, I like the freezer paper on top method.

Enjoy all of your classes! Sounds like a lot of fun. :)