Friday, December 23, 2011

Turning a Corner

I realize it is now officially winter, but it also means that the days will start to get longer.  Hurrah for that.  Actually we have had a most unusual December in the great Pacific Northwest, we are more than 3 inches behind in rain - we have had quite a bit of blue sky, and although cold, it has been really lovely.  I' watching the squirrels running around the back garden planting things in the grass - of course they can never find them later, but as long as they leave the bulbs alone, I don't care.  Lots of birds, as well.
[sorry this isn't exactly great photography, but I grabbed it out the dining room window.  We have just loads of these little birds, a) we feed them and b) keep the ice out of the bird bath.  I think they appreciate it.]

Finished up one little thing this morning early,
A hand quilting practice project, but I finally got the binding on it.  Mostly I like to learn new things, so I am bad about completing the main part of the project and then not actually finishing it.  So my newly turned "leaf" (before New Year's yet) is to finish up some of this stuff I have sitting in two big wicker baskets.  I'll show ya.

Today in the mail my sign up for the Sewing and Stitchery Expo arrived. 
This is a great event if you haven't visited it.  If you wanna come to town, let me know.  So that will begin my month of March.  Then this afternoon I learned that my sweet friend, Caroline, from the Netherlands will be paying us another visit, starting March 9.  Woo Hoo!  Isn't that great fun - well it is for me.  We had talked about her coming but we didn't think it would work out.  But thanks to her great husband, they have managed to get all the dog sitting duties sorted out and she can come.  So that will be marvelous.  And while she is here we will get to again enjoy the Quilter's Anonymous (huge) Quilt Show, which is held at the Monroe Fairgrounds - this year in a new building.  That is March 15-18.  So it's looking like March will be busy time at Casa Nana.

Meanwhile, I spent just a little while this afternoon making the world's easiest lemon pie - absolutely one of my favorites.  Start with 3-4 lemons and grate some peel,

then juice the lemons and add that to 2 cans of sweetened condensed milk.  (some folks get that confused with regular condensed milk)
[you may recall we even found this in the Netherlands, so we could make it over there].  It takes a minute to incorporate the lemon juice but then suddenly it is all there and starting to 'set'.  Just pour it into a graham cracker crust (store bought or homemade)
Truly, that is all that there is to it.  I will just top this with some CoolWhip and we are ready for a tasty treat tomorrow when we celebrate Christmas with my DD and DS.

My last little tidbit for today, we got and opened an early Christmas gift.  And I LOVE IT!  Elaine's brother and SIL sent this metal sculpture to us.  It means, essentially, bon appetit, enjoy your meal, etc.
It is Dutch, on our little Dutch wall.  Isn't that too cute?  (Dutch wall except for the Utah calendar - oh well).

If you are celebrating Christmas, then the very warmest wishes for a marvelous time of joy with your loved one.  And for the other celebrants, Hanukkah and Kwanzaa, I hope that you find warmth and happiness sharing with the special ones in your life.  We'll be chatting again soon.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Merry Christmas to you and Elaine, friend. :)

Caroline said...

We wish you a very "Merry X-mas" and a happy New Year. We hope 2012 will turn out to be another wonderful year. Rob, Caro and Paco.

Caroline said...

Hey, where are you wild pictures of New Years Eve ;). Caro