Saturday, February 5, 2011

Saturday evening

I am hard pressed to realize that almost a week has gone by.  Wow - somehow life goes by quickly and I don't get back here.  So you know that I haven't just been sitting around, here are a few photos of things going on in my sewing room.
My friend Patty, at Stone Soup Quilting allowed me to come and try my hand at her quilting machine.  It is not a usual long-arm machine, but the kind where a domestic machine is mounted sideways on a frame and it slides across the quilt.  I didn't do too badly - at least enough that I'm willing to try my hand at "quilting" a number of UFO's hanging out in Nana's sewing room.  So perhaps in up-coming weeks you will see some things actually finished.  Yeah!!!




Do you remember my Roll, Roll, Cotton Boll mystery quilt?  I struggled and struggled about what to do with that.  I just didn't like it.  Yes, I spent hours and hours on it - I think I counted that the red blocks alone had 64 pieces in them.  But no matter what I did, it just didn't please me.  So on the second day of our Stashbusters retreat I offered it to my long-armer friend, Alayne.  Meanwhile she had been thinking about it and offered to trade me the quilt for work on her machine.  Voila!  Perfect agreement.  I did finish up a couple of blocks for that quilt this week and on Friday, she and I spent a chunk of the day with the design wall laying it all out.  She is delighted and so am I.

Meanwhile, I started playing with a quilt she recently made, from Bonnie Hunter.  She made it in a tasteful masculine navy and cream four patches and mixed bricks, for a nephew.  I have been having something of a "wild hair" and I've started one made with very dark purple and gray for the four patches.  The bricks will be various purples and grays.  So far, I'm quite happy with it.  We shall see how it turns out,


  Kinda crazy, but I am liking it.  Otherwise, I also worked on doing some binding (the hand work part) for a Stone Soup Quilt while a friend was having knee surgery - I was transportation to and fro.  My Super Bowl plan is to work on the background grid quilting on the pink flowers (you saw them last week).  I don't even know who's playing, but I'm sure my quilting will keep me amused.  Happy week.

Oh yes, and my sweet friend Caro arrives from the Netherlands in just over two weeks.  We always have such a good time - I drive and she shops.  Fun!  I'll be sure to keep you posted.

2 comments:

Marla said...

I was feeling guilty because I too didn't care for the RRCB quilt (not yours, the pattern) I thought I must be the only one out in quilt land that didn't care for it. (you know that's not a critisism of Bonnie Hunter, just a difference of taste on that pattern) You came up with a great solution!! BTW the Bricks and Stepping Stones is on my to do list also!!!

Anonymous said...

My suitcase is ready to be packed, just 17 nights of sleep. You forgot to tell: you drive and talk ; ). We will be having a wonderful time again. I'm looking so forward to see you and Elaine. Drinking tea, having breakfast, and quilt together. Life can be so good. see you in 2,5 week, bye bye Caro